Tort Claims (Chapter 669)
These types of claims involve property damage, personal injury or wrongful death.
Any claim against the State of Iowa for money only, on account of damage to or loss of property, or on account of personal injury or death caused by the negligent or wrongful act or any employee of the state while acting within the scope of the employee's office or employment under circumstances where the state, if a private person, would be liable to the claimant for such damage, loss, injury, or death. Any claim against an employee of the state for money only, on account of damage to or loss of property, or on account of personal injury or death caused by the negligent or wrongful act or omission of any employee of the state while acting within the scope of the employee's office or employment.
- All Tort Claims are required to be submitted to the State Appeal Board (SAB) via the State Appeal Board Claim Form and Affidavit
- All claims need to be submitted in triplicate, signed and notarized
- Claims are date-stamped, numbered, entered on a computer data base and acknowledgment letters generated and sent to claimant
- Claims are sent to the AG's Office for investigation (copies of claims are also sent to Regents, DOT and DAS-GSE as appropriate for their investigation also)
- SAB has 28E agreement with the Board of Regents Universities (UofI, ISU, UNI and UIHC), Department of Transportation and General Services
- AG's office reviews and makes a recommendation on each claim for payment, denial or dismissal
- Recommendations are presented to the SAB members at their monthly meeting
- Claim is either approved, denied or dismissed by the SAB
For more information you may call Joseph Barry at 515/281-5512 or send an e-mail to Joseph.Barry@iowa.gov.
Department of Management
State Capitol, Room 13
Des Moines, IA 50319
For form and more information on the State Appeal Board Process:
Printable Form | Excel Form
| General Claims | Interdepartmental Claims